The Newton Fund, a British Government programme that supports research in Science and Innovation, announces the opening of its first call for projects, managed by the Research Council UK (RCUK) and the Conselho Nacional das Fundações Estaduais de Amparo à Pesquisa (CONFAP – the Brazilian research support council). The fund is an initiative of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) to help promote partnerships and foster economic development and social well-being in developing countries.
The purpose of the Newton Fund RCUK-CONFAP call is to provide up to GBP 100 thousand for short-termed, small-scaled research, with the objective of establishing sustainable collaborations between UK and Brazilian researchers.
Applications that address the following areas will be particularly welcomed:
– Urban transformations
– Food, energy, water, environment nexus
– Biodiversity and ecosystems
– Economic development and welfare reform
Applications across all research areas will also be eligible, as long as they make a strong case for UK-Brazil collaboration and meet the eligibility requirements associated with ODA.
Projects should be submitted between August 4 and October 17, 2014. Every information regarding eligibility, criteria and resources is in the public call (and can be seen in this link). Successful grants will be announced in December 2014.
This is the first Newton Fund call in Brazil. There will be other calls throughout the year, this time for scholarships and to support scientific workshops.
About the Newton Fund
Launched in Brazil by the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osbourne, in April 2014, the Newton Fund to foster research and innovation in developing countries will invest £9 million per year in Brazil for the next three years, in projects that promote partnership and exchange among researchers and institutions in both the Brazil and the UK. The amount distributed by the fund worldwide in five years will be of £375 millions. All successful grants will have local counterpart funding by the Brazilian government.
Applicants are advised to read all documentation before writing and submitting their application.
- Call notice – Please note, some minor amendments have been made since the call notice published on 4 August. These cover: welcoming interdisciplinary collaborations; the Brazilian deadline time; additional Brazil contact information.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Applicants are advised to read these for additional information on eligibility, funding and costs, scope, and proposal preparation and submission.
- Application form (Doc) – The form must be completed by both applicants and sent to email@example.com (for UK applicants) and to firstname.lastname@example.org (for Brazilian applicants) by the call deadline.
- Official Development Assistance (ODA) guidance: – This has been developed to provide general guidance on ODA compliance to applicants for RCUK Newton Fund grants.
The call deadline is 17 October 2014 at 16:00 hrs UK time/12:00 hrs Brazil time.